- Back to Home »
- 1200 Year Old Mosque unearthed by Archaeologists in Israel
Posted by : Aahil Shaik Saturday, July 20, 2019
1200 Year Old Ancient Mosque discovered by Archaeologists in Israel
Archaeologists have discovered one of the world's oldest rural mosques in Israel, which was built around the time Islam arrived in the holy land.
- The site was unearthed with an open air mosque with a prayer niche facing towards Makkah in Saudi Arabia, The discovery was uncovered while the site was getting ready for a new construction in the Bedouin town of Rahat in the Negev desert, dates back 7th to 8th centuries as per the estimation of The Israel Antiquities Authority.
- The antiquities authority said There are large mosques known to be from the period in Jerusalem and in holy city of Makkah, but its rare to find a mosque son ancient whose congregation is likely to have been local farmers.
- This mosque is one of the earliest mosque from the beginning of the arrival of Islam in Israel after the Arab conquest of 636 CE said antiquities authority.
- The discovery of village and the mosque are a significant contribution to the study of the history of the country during this turbulent period.