Posted by : Aahil Shaik Dec 21, 2018
NEW EXPATRIATES DO'S WHILE WORKING & LIVING IN SAUDI ARABIA
1. All the expatriate workers in Saudi Arabia are expected to strictly follow the Kingdom rules, regulations and customs. See Also : Don'ts for expats working and living in Saudi Arabia
2. Always keep the address and contact details of your employer or sponsor, recruiting agent and your country's Embassy or Consulate details with you.
3. Keep a copy of your employment contract signed by you and your employer.
4. Always carry your Original Iqama with you, In case you do not have keep your visa copy with your employer sign and stamp on it.
5. Understand and follow your rights and obligations as per the labor contract.
6. Always keep in mind that worker is expect to work with the sponsor for the entire duration of the contract, which is usually 2 years, before become eligible for leave or final exit.
7. Requests for premature return to your country even on family emergency, health reasons, etc. are not entertained by the sponsor.
8. In some exceptional cases where the employer agree to release the worker prematurely, Sponsors invariable demand to be compensated for the recruitment expenditure incurred by them.
9. Be aware that Saudi Arabia follows Hijri calendar, which is about 11 days shorter than Gregorian Calendar. The expiry dates of visa, Iqama, exit re-entry visa, etc., need to be cross checked well in time in order to ensure their renewal on time and avoid overstay.
10. Contact the Ministry of Labor (Toll free helpline : 19911) to register your complaint in case of any labor problem occurs like
- Employer not provided Iqama even after 90 days of arrival.
- Dispute with employer, harassment or non payment of salaries, violation of terms of labor contract, refusal to grant leave or exit on completion of the contract, etc,.
11. Make sure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months from the expected date of travel in case you are travelling on vacation.
12. Be Cautious while using internet and social media so as not to break the Saudi or cyber laws like
- Browsing or forwarding of objectionable material contents from any prohibited sites on the internet, sharing or liking pictures and posts on social media of a religious nature could be construed as offensive to religious and social sensitivities, critical of political system. It may lead to arrest, criminal case, punishment and deportation.
13. Do give sufficient notice (Up to 60 days in advance of the expiry of the contract) of your intention to leave Saudi Arabia on completion of the contract. Read : Probation period as per Saudi labor law