Posted by : Aahil Shaik Wednesday, June 17, 2020
World Health praises a Cheap drug that is effective against Coronavirus
The World Health Organization has stated the success of British researches in treating new corona virus cases of serious infection with a cheap and widely available drug 'dexamethasone', as scientific achievement. Trending : 50% of the critical cases in Saudi Arabia have chronic diseases
The drug can help in saving the lives of patients who are seriously sick with corona virus, According to the WHO director general, Tiedros Adhano, the drug is first proven treatment that reduces deaths among Covid-19 patients who need artificial ventilators.
- WHO said it is looking forward to a full analysis of the data during the coming days to increase understanding of the treatment and update its guidance on how to use it with infected. Recommend : Eid Al Adha is expected to begin July 31 this year
- The low-dose of steroid treatment dexamethasone, is used to reduce inflammation, It was used in the treatment of asthma and rheumatoid arthritis in 1960s, and works to stop the immune system from destroying platelets in people with blood disorders and problems.
- The drug reportedly cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators, for those who are on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth. Hospital patients should now be given it without delay, but people should not go out and buy it to take at home said Prof. Landry. See Also : Corona virus cases crossed 8 Million mark Worldwide
- About 2104 patients were given 6mg of the drug once a month orally, on intravenous injection for 10 days, the results and comparing them, scientists found that over 28 days. The death rate was patients who need ventilation via ventilators 41% and for those who need oxygen was in the range of 25%.
- Dexamethasone does not appear to help people with mild symptoms of corona virus, those who don't need help with their breathing. Read : 1.2 Million foreigners expected to exit from Saudi Arabia this year
- Another drug 'Remdesivir' an antiviral treatment that appears to shorten recovery time for people with Covid-19 is already being made available on the NHS.